Safe Marine Transfer, LLC (SMT), LiquidPower Specialty Products Inc. (LSPI), a Berkshire Hathaway Company, and Subsea 7 bring a combination of proven applications, market leading technology and industry expertise to deliver full-service subsea production and pipeline flow increase for offshore needs.
LSPI’s drag reducing agents (DRA), also known as flow improvers, can be delivered subsea via SMT’s patented, all-electric dual barrier subsea DRA storage and injection technology. In conjunction, Subsea 7 offers delivery of SMT’s technology and LSPI products on a global basis, through its global fleet of marine equipment, marine support, manufacturing, and assembly sites.
Drag reducing agents (DRAs) cost-effectively reduce pipeline pressure losses and maximize flowrates of onshore and offshore pipelines. Injecting DRA at the subsea well/drill center offers customers the ability to significantly increase production by increasing flow rates in existing subsea production lines, subsea gathering lines, and subsea trunk lines. Using DRA may also minimize or eliminate the need for subsea boosting.
immediate customer value
- Doubled flowrate is possible with a high DRA injection rate and no water or gas content (typical land-based application)
- 30% to 35% drag reduction can be achieved with some gas or water content
Full Service Reliability
- Deployment, Recovery, and Maintenance of Subsea DRA Injection Unit
- Supply, Storage, and Injection of custom-formulated Subsea DRA
- Flexibility, as DRA unit may be readily transferred from field to field as production requirements change
Additional Customer Value - Long Term
Reduce Capital Expenditure
- Subsea DRA Injection Unit is a portable asset
- Optimize (reduce) pipeline diameter
- Design pipeline and riser for a base case and use DRA for early flush oil and upside production
Achieve Operational Flexibility
- Use DRA to increase rate in flowline restricted wells
- Use DRA for debottlenecking
- Use DRA to reduce backpressure
- Conserve topside space, weight and reduce riser loads
Extend Facility Life
- Use DRA to add well to an existing flow line
- Use DRA to increase tie-back distances
- Use DRA to reduce pipeline pressure for de-rated lines
Higher production rates are achieved as the DRA reduces the flowline back pressure on the wells and allows the wells to flow more freely:
SUBSEA DRAG REDUCING AGENTS (DRA)
With over 40 years of proven, value-add results, LSPI provides DRA for subsea applications through the partnership with LSPI, SMT and Subsea 7.
Since inventing and commercializing the very first drag reducer for crude oil pipelines in 1979, LSPI has remained the global market leader in flow improver technology and performance.
Drag reducers, also known as drag reducing agents (DRA) and flow improvers, reduce frictional pressure loss during fluid flow in a conduit or pipeline.
DRA consist of long-chain hydrocarbon polymers that act as turbulence inhibitors along the pipe wall to decrease the amount of energy lost in turbulent activity. Pressure loss reduction is achieved by reducing the level of turbulent motion in the flow.
DRA has been used extensively onshore and in offshore export pipelines and multiphase systems to increase flowrate and/or reduce pressure.
How DRA Works
SMT TECHNOLOGY – SUBSEA DRA INJECTION UNIT
SMT provides subsea DRA storage and injection through its Subsea DRA Injection Unit, engineered for modular industrial fabrication.
DEPLOYMENT, RECOVERY & MAINTENANCE OF SUBSEA DRA INJECTION UNIT
Through its partnership with SMT and LSPI, Subsea 7 supports the deployment, recovery, and maintenance of the Subsea DRA Injection Unit.
Subsea 7 is a global leader in the delivery of offshore projects and services for the evolving energy industry. Subsea 7’s offshore operations span five decades, successfully completing over 1,000 projects. Subsea 7’s engineering expertise, alliances and specialist technologies deliver safe and reliable solutions in all water depths and across all energy hubs.
Subsea 7 provides a variety of services across the full energy lifecycle, including:
- Procurement and Fabrication
- Installation and Commissioning
- Extension of field life & maximization of return on investment by utilizing new technologies and tie-back solutions